Device connectivity is becoming an ever more prevalent topic in the industrial sector. This also pertains to manufacturers of large engines: as the number of connected devices and edge computing components grows, keeping their software up to date becomes a crucial consideration. For one, software updates allow manufacturers to address security issues, but they also offer a means of providing customers with new functionalities. While software and firmware updates are an indispensable element of the IoT, the software rollout can involve a number of challenges:
- The difficulty of keeping track of devices and assets distributed around the world.
- Companies have to keep track of different device and asset configurations.
- Security breaches or software bugs require companies to react quickly and efficiently.
- Manually providing software updates on-site is time-consuming and not customer-friendly.
- Updates have to be installed in a secure and reliable manner.
Addressing these challenges calls for a fast and reliable software rollout process, ideally supported by technology that reduces manual efforts to a minimum.