The IoT is a very dynamic environment. Steady improvements to what you offer is therefore key. This makes software and firmware updates a crucial consideration. On the one hand, they enable companies to address security issues; on the other hand, they offer a means of providing customers with new functionalities. While software and firmware updates play an important role in today’s IoT landscape, they also involve a number of challenges:
- The difficulty of keeping track of devices and assets distributed around the world.
- Companies have to keep track of different device and asset configurations.
- Security breaches or software bugs require companies to react quickly and efficiently.
- Manually providing software updates on-site is time-consuming and not customer-friendly.
- Updates have to be installed in a secure and reliable manner.
5 things to consider for your SOTA project
What you get:
- Insights into the operational and technical requirements for software-/firmware updates over the air
- Assessment of how Bosch helps you & your software rollout initiative
What you give:
- 5 minutes of reflection on resources, starting points and targets for your SOTA use case
How companies benefit from software updates over the air
With thousands or even millions of distributed devices, it is no longer feasible to install updates manually. Companies can overcome this challenge by securely providing software or firmware updates over the air (SOTA/FOTA). This means that updates are rolled out and received remotely over the internet. This approach comes with various benefits:
Our solution: rolling out software updates over the air
SOTA simplifies the process for the end user, but it is a complex process from the manufacturer’s perspective: artifacts need to be made available as a download, and software updates must be assigned to eligible devices. When dealing with a large number of devices, it takes carefully managed campaigns to orchestrate the associated rollouts. Progress of the software update process must also be monitored from the start. And, all the while, a watchful eye must be kept on security and reliability requirements.
The Bosch IoT Suite provides all the functionality needed to reliably provision and update software on IoT gateways and devices. It enables you to manage software modules and components as well as artifacts for complex, large-scale scenarios, including rollout campaigns.