Software updates over the air for industrial assets
How industrial companies keep their devices up to date and add new functionalities in an efficient and convenient way.
As the number of connected devices and edge computing components grows, keeping software up to date becomes an ever more important consideration. This is especially true for the industrial sector, where equipment is generally regarded as a long-term investment. Rather than replacing their equipment periodically, companies mostly rely on long maintenance cycles to keep machinery operational. Software updates not only allow industrial companies to address security issues, they also offer a means of providing customers with new functionalities. While they are an indispensable element of today’s industrial IoT landscape, rolling out software and firmware can involve a number of challenges:
- It is difficult to keep track of devices and assets that are distributed around the world.
- Companies have to stay on top of the configuration requirements for different devices and assets.
- Security breaches or software bugs require companies to react quickly and efficiently.
- Manual software updates carried out on-site are time-consuming and not customer-friendly.
- Updates have to be installed in a secure and reliable manner.
Industrial companies can overcome these challenges by securely providing software or firmware updates over the air (SOTA/FOTA). Rolling out software updates over the Internet ensures a quick and reliable software update process and reduces manual efforts to a minimum.
Use case overview
- Industrial companies are able to address security issues, install the latest software versions, and provide new functionalities in a convenient way.
- Companies can reduce manual efforts to a minimum and save a substantial amount of time and money.
- With software updates over the air manufacturers can prolong their product’s life cycle by ensuring that their devices are technically always up to date.
Our solution: rolling out software updates over the air
Software updates over the air simplify the process for the end-user. Nevertheless, rolling out software updates is a complex process from the manufacturer’s perspective: artifacts need to be made available as a download, and software updates must be assigned to eligible devices. When dealing with a large number of devices, it takes carefully managed campaigns to orchestrate the associated rollouts. Progress of the software update process must also be monitored from the start. And, all the while, a watchful eye must be kept on security and reliability requirements.
The Bosch IoT Suite provides all the functionality needed to reliably provision and update software on IoT gateways and devices. It enables companies to manage software modules and components as well as artifacts for complex, large-scale scenarios, including rollout campaigns.