Real-time supply-chain monitoring for retailers
How sensor technology can help retailers monitor transport routes and check the quality of goods in transit
When it comes to food logistics – whether for brick-and-mortar outlets or online stores – the key challenge is always “the last mile.” This is particularly so for fresh and perishable produce, where an efficient supply chain not only guarantees that goods are delivered on time but also ensures that they are in perfect condition. A tracking system that monitors load carriers along the entire supply chain can help bring about lasting improvements in efficiency.
- Real-time tracking provides stakeholders with a constant overview of the supply chain. It tells them the present location of load carriers such as trailers, containers, steel trolleys, reusable pallets and boxes. And, if required, it will also reveal whether load carriers are full or empty and what kind of goods they are carrying.
- Load carriers equipped with IoT devices such as sensors and IoT gateways send regular updates on their whereabouts to the cloud. Any alterations to scheduling can therefore be identified early on, thereby enabling proactive intervention.
- Sensors also provide other information such as the temperature in the load carrier or excess jolting and vibrations during transit.
Benefits at a glance
- Transparency on the location and condition of goods along the entire supply chain.
- Stakeholders obtain information on other factors that affect product quality, such as temperature, jolting, vibrations etc.