Tracking load carriers and merchandise in real time
Smart software cuts logistics costs
Logistical load carriers such as steel carts, containers, semitrailers, crates, and returnable pallets spend much of their service lives on the go. But their exact location in the logistics network and what merchandise they are transporting often remains elusive. Manufacturers, logistics service providers, and retailers devote a lot of human effort and money to track these assets.
- Real-time tracking enables everyone in the supply chain to see load carriers’ locations as they convey goods from a field or factory to a warehouse and then on the retailer. They can even determine if these units are empty or full and learn what merchandise they are carrying.
- Searching for, logging in and out, and inventorying these assets takes so much time. Real-time tracking not only simplifies these tasks, it automates them.
- Load carriers equipped with IoT devices such as sensors or IoT Gateways send regular updates on their whereabouts to the cloud.
- Alerts report incidents and scheduling changes at an early turn so stakeholders can respond more flexibly to avert delays.
- How does this help optimize fleet management? Simple: Trailers and containers generate real-time data around the clock to increase transparency in the logistics chain.
Benefits at a glance
- 50% fewer lost load carriers
- 25% greater availability of load carriers; less reinvest
- Up to 80% less time spent searching for, inventorying, and logging units in/out
- 50% faster coordination of material flows